I am a Certified Professional Midwife (registered in Colorado) and International Board Certified Lactation Consultant. I have a private midwifery practice in Denver, Colorado. I am also employed as core faculty at Midwives College of Utah, where I teach Human Lactation; Foundations of Public Health and Health Education for Midwives; Labor, Birth, and the Immediate Postpartum; Epidemiology; Community Maternal and Child Health; and Policy and Advocacy in Midwifery.
I began my path to midwifery in 2000 during the birth of my second son, which was an incredibly transformative experience for me. I first became a breastfeeding peer counselor, then began a midwifery apprenticeship after many years of study. I gained a great deal of clinical experience at the Yayasan Bumi Sehat birth clinic, in Bali, in the Fall of 2009. During my studies I became a certified doula with DONA and a certified childbirth educator with ALACE. I sat for the IBLCE exam in July of 2008 and the NARM exam in February of 2010. I began my practice in Pueblo, Colorado but have been practicing in Denver since 2012.
I received a Bachelor’s degree in Political Science in 1995 and a Master of Public Health degree in 2015. I am working toward my Master of Midwifery degree from Midwives Collage of Utah.
I have helped to welcome nearly 350 babies earthside, approximately 150 of which were attended in the role of primary midwife.
Education, Training, and Certifications
- Master of Midwifery, currently enrolled, Midwives College of Utah, anticipated graduation Winter 2019.
- Master of Public Health, concentration in Maternal and Child Health, Colorado School of Public Health, December 2015
- Certified Phlebotomy Technician, NHA, January 2013
- Birth Emergency Skills Training (BEST), June 2012
- Regis University, Health Care Ethics, January 2012-March 2012
- Red Rocks Community College/Otero Junior College, June 2011-December 2011
- NARM Certified Professional Midwife Credential, March 2010
- International Board Certified Lactation Consultant Certification, October 2008
- Neonatal Resuscitation Program Certification
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Certification for Health Care Professionals
- DONA Birth Doula Certification, February 2009
- ALACE Childbirth Educator Certification, January 2009
- University of Colorado at Denver, Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, Summa Cum Laude, May 1995
- Colorado School of Mines, Chemistry major, 1991-1993
- High School Diploma, La Junta High School, May 1991